Best Music of 2011
1. Bon Iver – ‘Bon Iver’
2. Bright Eyes – ‘The People’s Key’
3. Feist – ‘Metals’
4. Alessi’s Ark – ‘Time Travel’
5. Björk – ‘Biophilia’
6. Radiohead – ‘The King of Limbs’
7. Xuuki – ‘Xuuki’ EP
8. PJ Harvey – ‘Let England Shake’
9. Laura Marling – ‘A Creature I Don’t Know’
10. Patrick Wolf – ‘Lupercalia’
This year I enjoyed some top albums, amongst them the soothing sounds of Bon Iver, the enchanting voice of Björk and well.. another (top) Radiohead album!
Listen to my Best of 2011 playlist on Spotify.
Best films I watched in 2011
1. Submarine (Richard Ayoade, 2011)
2. Adaptation (Spike Jonze, 2002)
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
4. American Beauty (Sam Mendes, 1999)
5. Machuca (Andrés Wood, 2004)
6. Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011)
7. Porco Rosso (Hayao Miyazaki, 1992)
8. Happiness (Todd Solondz, 1998)
9. The Darjeeling Limited (Wes Anderson, 2007)
10. Melancholia (Lars von Trier, 2011)
Submarine is a fantastic movie – especially for a debut film. Director Richard Ayoade has created a hilarious, slightly twisted and inherently British take on life through the eyes of Oliver Tate. Adaptation is a bit of a mad gem, filled with plot twists you don’t see coming and offbeat humour. A special mention must go to Kung-Fu Panda 2 (Jennifer Yuh, 2011), one of the best sequels/kids movies/films starring a panda in recent memory – it had me laughing from start to finish.
Best Moments of 2011
Personally it has been an important year in terms of finishing University and getting my first Graphic Design job. Starting One Eye Open has also been a greatly satisfying endeavour – and one that has allowed me to meet and work with some pretty cool people. Globally, 2011 was of course a time for Arab revolutions, London riots and… a wedding. Only time will tell if we will still talk about these events in say, five or ten years.
As for the coming year, One Eye Open will be releasing Issue #2 very soon. Stay tuned for more in print and online (using this spangly new blog) and I wish everyone a great 2012!
Nick Byrne runs One Eye Open magazine as well as working as a Graphic Designer.